Skip to main content
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Adams
    Keymaster

@Viji We’re recommending instructors upload videos to Warpwire, and share those links with students via Sakai. The issue, as you correctly identified, is that your account may be in a different sub-account than some of your students. I emphasize some, to say not all. Switching your account to a different sub-account would enable some students to access the recordings, but it would likely prevent access for others. Conversely, switching a student’s sub-account might enable access to some of their classes, but it would then prevent access to other classes they previously had access to.

This is an issue that’s especially prevalent for those in medically-related sciences, as frequently both instructors and students may be teaching/taking classes across different, but related disciplines (e.g. a Med School student taking a psychology class, or an instructor with a dual appointment in Biology and Gillings SPH.)

Warpwire is UNC-wide, and isn’t constrained by the Zoom subaccounts. So, while it does indeed take an extra few minutes to upload recordings, it enables easy (and secure!) access to students who need the material.

Viji Sathy
    Participant

I see. Do I have to share the links or does the uploaded content on warpwire become automatically visible to students, i.e., does it appear like resources in the resources folder?
    Also, what happens with closed captioning/transcriptions in warpwire? Is it correct to say to make my videos most accessible to all students they need to be in the cloud and on warpwire? Thanks!

Viji Sathy
    Participant

Hi — I’m curious about the roster option in zoom. It appears that I need to require registration to generate a roster of participants. Does that preclude students who are accessing via phone or browser, I.e., not signed into their UNC account using a zoom app? I don’t want to exclude participants, but would like a simple way to determine who is and isn’t on the call. Thank you!

Viji Sathy
    Participant

I was in a meeting (not UNC) that was zoom bombed. It’s as horrifying as you imagine it could be. I cannot admit students from a waiting room in my 100+ person class swiftly and efficiently. I have generated a random meeting number and it is only shared with my students. I have disabled screensharing from participants. Are there additional steps I can take to avoid this happening?

Paul Wolff
    Participant

Hey Viji – Jordan’s account is having some issues so I’m posting a response from him:

Viji, I’ll respond to your posts sequentially here, so I don’t miss anything:

First, you’ll need to share Warpwire links to any student that can’t access the Zoom recording. Presumably, the easiest way to do this is to share it with all students, and those who need the Warpwire link can use it. The Zoom transcriptions can be uploaded into Warpwire with the video itself. Assuming you have transcriptions turned on through cloud recording, it will create a .vtt file in addition to the .mp4, which can then be uploaded at the same time as the .mp4 into Warpwire.

Concerning the other two posts, I’d advise you to follow the recommended settings for securing meetings and recordings. That will do a couple things: it will force people to sign in to their licensed UNC zoom account (whether on laptop, desktop, or mobile), so as to secure the attendees as being, at a minimum, UNC/onyen authenticated. And, per your second post, it will also allow you to track attendance for the class.

Rebecca Stephens
    Participant

Hi all – I was able to add Warpwire as a tool in Sakai. I’m not sharing links for each of the videos; students can click on the tool (it’s in the list over on the left-hand side of the page) and see all of the videos I’ve uploaded. Does this have the same level of security?

Paul Wolff
    Participant

@Rebecca – using Warpwire is a fine solution and if you added the videos directly to Warpwire through the course in Sakai, only students in the course should be able to view them. From an accessibility standpoint, recording to the cloud in Zoom provides an automatic transcription and Warpwire doesn’t have that functionality – that’s one of the reasons we’ve been pointing people to use Zoom. You could always record to the cloud in Zoom and then download the video, along with the transcription, uploading the video to Warpwire afterwards. This would allow you to make transcriptions available while still using Warpwire.

Rebecca Stephens
    Participant

Thanks, Paul. I have been recording to the Zoom cloud since we started back but ran into some of the access issues late last week (e.g., the UNC sub-account problem). At that point, I added Warpwire as a second option for students, so they can use one or the other. Seems to be working; I haven’t received any other emails from students having trouble getting to the videos. I set it up before finding out that I could add the transcription – is there a way to add the transcription to the videos in Warpwire after the fact? Or is it easier to just delete and start over, uploading both video and transcription at the same time?

Jordan Adams
    Keymaster

It seems as though it is indeed possible to add captions to previously uploaded videos, just click the three dots next to the video, click “settings”, and then hit the “+ Add” icon about three quarters of the way down the menu. From there, it’s easy enough to add the .vtt file, which will pair with the video for transcriptions. Hope that helps!

fcwiss
    Participant

Hi All, How do I enable screen share for the participants in my zoom meetings? I have student presentations coming up and I want them to be able to share powerpoints with the class as they are talking-my students have reported that the share screen button on their zoom screens is present, but disabled. Thanks

Eugene Yamamura
    Participant

@fcwiss
    I believe in Settings (on left side menu).
    In Meeting (Basic)
    Screen sharing section. Who can share? option.

Abi Winegarden
    Participant

FC-

On your main Zoom window, click the gear in the top right to open Settings. From Settings- General at the bottom should be a link to “view more settings”.

This opens a browser window, scroll down about halfway and you should see options for Screen Sharing.

Paul Stotts
    Participant

I have read the Zoom security setting recommended in Keep Teaching.
    THere have been 2 recent notes posted elsewhere about Zero Day security problems found in Zoom… could cause malware to be installed on a users machine. Is there any info about this in the UNC materials? Is this an issue we should worry about dealing with?

Suzanne Cadwell
    Participant

Paul,

Zoom issued a reassuring and lengthy statement in response to these security issues just last night: https://blog.zoom.us/wordpress/2020/04/01/a-message-to-our-users/.

About a year ago, another zero-day security threat was discovered and handled quickly. We trust that Zoom understands well all that is at stake at this time.

All my best,
    Suzanne Cadwell
    Director, ITS Teaching & Learning.

Rebecca Stephens
    Participant

Has anyone had success using the preassigned breakout rooms? I attempted to use this feature this morning and about 1/3 of the class did not get placed into any room. I had to open my spreadsheet of assignments and manually move each of those students into the correct room. Students overwhelmingly prefer the preassigned groups (it’s a large class), so I want to make this work, but taking the time to manually sort a couple dozen students while the class is live is incredibly inconvenient. The meeting is set up to only admit authenticated users, so they should all be signed in with UNC addresses. Could this be another issue related to the sub-accounts? Or is there another setting that subset of students needs to check?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.