Skip to main content

Home Forums COVID-19 Remote Teaching Forum Voice Thread

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Murphy
    Participant

Hi!

I’ve been using Voice Thread with my students. However, no matter what I do, permissions and access remains an issue. I try to “share” the Voice Thread URL so that anyone with the link can view and edit. But every single time, I end up with an email inbox full of notices that “so and so” student is requesting access and needs me to manually confirm it. I can’t keep up with confirming this access on a student-by-student basis, and so students are being locked out from my assignments.

Students have signed-up and signed-in to VoiceThread with their UNC onyen/password, and it still doesn’t seem to work no matter what I do. I’ve tried sharing via the “Secure” tab and the “Public” tab, but the Secure one has my class listed but no students.

Here’s one of the URLs that is supposed to be shared publicly; maybe see if you can access it? https://voicethread.com/share/14014445/

Any help or advice on how to smooth this out?

Ben

Thao Nghi Tu
    Participant

Hi Ben!

To share your VoiceThreads with your students, I would recommend adding the VoiceThread tool to your Sakai site so that you can easily select which VoiceThreads to share with the course. This way all students in your course would get access to the VoiceThreads you select and you won’t need to grant permission for each individual student.

First, add VoiceThread to your Sakai site: Site Info > Manage Tools > check VoiceThread and continue through the steps to add it.

Once the tool has been added to your site, click on the “+ Add your own” option in the top right corner of the VoiceThread tool > Select from my Voicethreads > select the VoiceThread to share > Share. I would recommend giving students “View and comment” permissions to allow them to view and add their own comments. Giving them edit permissions would grant them the ability to make changes to your VoiceThread. Your students should then see the VoiceThreads you have shared with them in the VoiceThread tool of your Sakai site and through the direct links you share.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Benjamin Murphy
    Participant

Thanks for this response! I tried what you suggested, and I’m still not sure it has worked correctly.

I can see the way to share the Voice Thread file via my class; however, when I select that option under “secure” sharing, I seem to be the only member included within that class designation. And I can’t see to figure out how to add my students to the class?

I took a screenshot of what I’m seeing and uploaded it to this Google Doc. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iC5loDtCXHXEYzuhiPGMKEpWXIW7tmL75zduv9oG9v0/edit?usp=sharing)

This whole sharing issue is confusing me because some students seem to be able to access the files fine while others always need my one-by-one permission. I can’t tell if the students themselves are accessing it differently, although I’ve tried to be clear about the process.

Thanks again for your help.

Thao Nghi Tu
    Participant

Hi Ben, I’m going to send you an email since this is specific to your course. Please look for that reply shortly!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.