Skip to main content

Home Forums COVID-19 Remote Teaching Forum Group projects

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kelly Hogan
    Participant

How do you plan to continue group projects that were a part of your course? Do you have problems you haven’t solved yet or solutions you can share with others?

I’ll be curious to see how this is resolved in my Org Theory class. I had just finished both of my group projects, but half of the students still need to finish one or both of their group projects. One of those group projects involves developing a learning activity to guide the rest of the class in, so those students might find that more challenging now.

Matthew Bernacki
    Participant

While it isn’t explicitly embedded into Sakai, the University subscriptions afford Microsoft Teams as a platform for project management. The tool requires a bit to get up to speed on its functions, but it has a threadable chat/conversation space, a file repository, and other features that afford collaborative work. For instructors whose courses are sufficiently reliant on project based learning, this is probably the best platform for it available to us, and is likely worth the investment. Instructors can also be added as team members, and can thus dip into groups to provide help, or even just monitor progress to ensure students are able to engage despite their remote circumstances.

I’ve used both MS Project and Planner in this capacity both professionally, with Summer Writing Group, and in consultations with faculty as an tool to use in class. Project is clunky and requires special permissions on campus, but Planner is totally adequate. More than anything I think it’s a great tool to help people learn about the basics of Work Breakdown Structure, which as a general practice is great for learning how to break big projects into a set of discrete and manageable tasks.

Andrea Jost Ashdown
    Participant

You might consider also using Zoom breakout rooms for the students if they need to spend time talking to each other synchronously, be it to check on status of the project or review what each has done to assign further to-dos within the group. If you have them work in groups during your classroom time, this will be a good alternative. Check the training schedule today and tomorrow for Zoom trainings that discuss breakout rooms or schedule a consult if needed!

Sydney Howell
    Participant

Instead of presenting their project to the class as anticipated, I am having them build a website as a team. The website must respond to the original project needs, and i’ve built in other components to help me assess their understanding of the course material. This will take the place of their final project.

Andrea Jost Ashdown
    Participant

That’s a great idea!
    Andrea

Paul Wolff
    Participant

Sydney, I just wanted to commend your flexibility and willingness to consider all the complicated situations our students might find themselves in over the rest of the semester. This is a wonderful and compassionate solution. Thanks for putting your students first!

When I use zoom for student projects I ask students to set up a separate zoom meeting for each group (or I set up their zoom meetings and in the “settings” I allow everyone to be a host. That is their own time to work on a project outside of the class time. For me it is not relevant that they are “in class” when they are working on a project. I also teach Organizational Strategy and I have asked them to create an online training module, so this may be an opportunity for that. I have very clear rubrics as well.

Paul Wolff
    Participant

Ivonne – that’s great advice! For students who may have internet connectivity issues, another option is to make use of groups within discussion forums. I was talking with a faculty member today who plans on giving students the option, within their respective groups, of deciding what works best for them to collaborate (Asynchronous Discussion Form or Synchronous Zoom Meetings).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.