Skip to main content

Home Forums COVID-19 Remote Teaching Forum Creating Lecture Videos

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Ritter
    Keymaster

A new resource is available with tips and tricks for creating your own lecture video recordings. Find the page here and post any questions on this topic in this forum thread.

Misha Becker
    Participant

I have a question about how to actually record the video. My lecture slides are PDF files (not Powerpoint). Would it be easier (for me and for the students) if I were to record a solo Zoom session with me talking through my slides and post the link to the course Sakai site? Or to use Voicethread (which I’ve never used before)? I’m planning to deliver all of my remaining lectures live during the regular class meeting time (and record them for those who can’t log in), but there are a couple topics we won’t have time to cover and I was going to make videos for those topics.
    Thanks,
    Misha

Paul Wolff
    Participant

Misha – I think that’s a fantastic approach. You can record using Zoom even if you’r the only person in the meeting and you can share your screen as you go through the materials. As I noted in the broadband thread, you will get an auto-transcription file if you record to the cloud and you can amend this to send out as accompanying lecture notes. I’d recommend using Zoom and Sakai if you can to keep things simple for you and your students. Voicethread is a fantastic tool, particularly in certain situations, but it’s one more thing for you to learn right now so I’d avoid it unless there’s a strong need (for example, in foreign language courses).

Paul Wolff
    Participant
    Rebecca Stephens
    Participant

Given how long it’s taking for the Zoom recordings to be processed (I’ve heard of some taking >3 days), are there options for recording locally and then sharing with students so that there isn’t as much of a lag? I was told that Warpwire may be an option for getting videos onto Sakai, but I haven’t been able to find details about this. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Rebecca

Paul Wolff
    Participant

Hey Rebecca!

You can definitely record locally with Zoom (the main downside being you don’t get an auto-transcription that way). We’re recommending uploading to a private Youtube channel and setting the video to “unlisted” which will allow you to share the link with your students. Youtube has an auto-captioning feature which is helpful for accessibility purposes.

Warpwire is an option, but doesn’t have auto-captioning or auto-transcription.

Tyler Ritter
    Keymaster

From Roger Hobbs, Creative Services Manager in the Office for Online Learning:

Hi all,
    This is not a free tool offered by the University, but it may be useful to some instructors. Switcher Studio is an iOS-based app which allows you to use one or multiple camera angles using the built-in cameras in iPhones or iPads (note: the app is exclusively iOS). There are lots of features, including the ability to import images and videos, and add text to overlay on top of any source. The switcher app allows you to switch between all of these sources live, so there is no need for editing. You can record and save as a file to share later, or send to youtube live (or a few other live video sources). You can operate everything by yourself, but I recommend having at least one helper to pull it off smoothly.
    https://www.switcherstudio.com/education

Brian Hogan
    Participant

What is the best program to use to edit videos into smaller chunks. I have some long videos that I’d like to edit down, but iMovie is problematic and buggy. IMovie keeps telling me I don’t have enough memory to import a .mp4 I want to edit no matter if it’s 1 hr. long or 30 sec and I have 1.8 TB of memory free on my machine. Does UNC have a free resource for editing videos? What are people using?

Rob Lucas
    Keymaster

Hi Brian,

You can request a license for Adobe Creative Cloud software here: https://software.sites.unc.edu/software/adobe-creative-cloud/ On these forums, Matt Osment recommended Adobe Rush as a good video editor that’s fairly easy to use–although I haven’t used it personally. (Premiere Pro is available but has a steeper learning curve.) You could also try uploading the video into YouTube and using their online editor.

-Rob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.