Skip to main content

Home Forums COVID-19 Remote Teaching Forum Automated Grading of Sakai Tests & Quizzes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Christina Burch
    Participant

I would like to give participation credit for answering short answer / essay questions in some Sakai Tests & Quizzes. As long as the student provides any answer, I want them to receive 1 point, if they leave the answer blank I want them to receive 0 points, and I want these answers to be graded automatically. I know that I could do that for a fill in the blank question using a format like: Answer this question? {*}. But, I don’t see instructions for how to accomplish what I want for a short answer / essay question. Can I use the same trick, and add a {*} to the end of my question prompt?

Thao Nghi Tu
    Participant

Hi Christina,

The Short Answer/Essay question type in Sakai Tests & Quizzes unfortunately cannot be graded automatically. You will need to manually enter a score for each student who responded to the question. A quick way to see all the students with responses per question is to use the “Questions” view in test submissions. Here is a help guide on viewing student responses by question. Be sure to click the “Update” button periodically at the bottom of the page as you’re updating scores.

If you have additional tech questions about this, please send us a help request on help.unc.edu.

Thanks!
    Thao Nghi Tu
    ITS Teaching & Learning

Jeff Sekelsky
    Participant

Hi Christina. Have you looked at Gradescope. There might be a bit of a learning curve but it looks pretty powerful. It can automated grading or instructor grading and you can have a rubric (+1 if they did this, -0.5 if they didn’t get this) where you just check things off. You can set feedback that it will give for each rubric element you check.

Here are some videos for getting started and a full webinar.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.