Skip to main content

Home Forums COVID-19 Remote Teaching Forum Zoom Help Reply To: Zoom Help

Jordan Adams
Keymaster

Susan, lots of information incoming here:

This guide from Zoom details a few different ways that video can be laid out during a meeting. This may not be exactly what you’re looking for, but a smaller version of the gallery view should be available, as long as you meet the minimum participant and hardware requirements.

As far as the privacy concerns go, I didn’t get that exact email, so I may not be answering your question exactly here, but I’ve traded a few emails with the general counsel’s office, wherein they talked about how Zoom recordings can get a little bit tricky as far as FERPA goes. Per their advice, it may be best to consider what the bare minimum of recording necessary is for your class on any given day. I’d venture a guess that most class periods do not have to be recorded in a manner that captures protected information every single day, but your mileage may vary.

Our colleagues down at Rice University have put out a guide on FERPA and Zoom, which I’d encourage you to take a look at.

Zoom does indeed have an option in your recording settings labeled “record an audio only file” which creates an .m4a file, in addition to the video, transcript, etc. files created. That can then be shared to students via Warpwire or through Zoom to your class, as needed.